In the modern times, dentistry has evolved in several aspects. Dental radiology has also improved to a great extent thanks to the excellent technology introduced in dentistry. Dental radiology now utilizes modern technology in the form of digital methods of taking radiographs of the patients. Dental RVG x-ray and dental panoramic x-ray are the two principal segments of the dental radiology which have made significant changes in the diagnosis segment of dentistry.
Digital RVG X-rays
Digital radiography is one of the latest technologies utilized in the field of dentistry. The digital X-ray sensors are used for taking radiographs of traditional photographic film. The advantages of this type of radiography include freedom from chemical-based developing of the x-ray and secure transfer of the information of the radiographs. Also, less radiation can be used to produce an image of similar contrast to conventional radiography. Digital radiography has brought dentistry and its aspects to a new level. No more patients have to blindly believe in everything that they are told. They can see and understand that actually what’s going on in their teeth. This improves the trust between the patient and dentist thus keeping the patient satisfied with his dental treatment. One of the best advantages of utilizing digital RVG x-rays is that patients feel much more comfortable even when the radiographs are taken for the respective tooth or related structure. It provides amazing resolution of the tooth and nearby structure on the digital screen which helps in speeding up the dental treatment without any guesswork or confusion.
Digital radiography uses a digital device for capturing the image of the tooth or structure associated with it. The costly film procedure is eliminated along with saving a lot of time in every patient as the traditional method made it difficult for the patients to adapt during the insertion of the x-ray film. The special sensors are utilized in the digital radiography. This ensures proper hygiene for the patient as well as the dentist. Patients appreciate the usage of firm infection prevention measures taken along with the usage of the digital radiography in dentistry. This provides a smooth and calm experience of the patients, thus improving the patient experience after every dental treatment procedure.
The intraoral sensors have made the work of the radiography much more comfortable than earlier. Taking radiographs is quite simpler than before. Patients appreciate the new concepts used in the digital RVG x-rays and favor the utilization of these techniques and technologies. The digital detector system has proved to be of great benefit over the traditional method of radiography. Also, the exposure rate to the radiations has decreased to an appreciable extent. Only the structure concerned with the patient’s problem is exposed to the x-rays. No other parts are exposed, which reduces the exposure in the patients. This is one of the significant benefits of the digital RVG x-rays.
Digital Full Mouth Panoramic X-Ray
An Orthopantomogram (OPG), also known as an “orthopantogram” or “panorex”, is a panoramic scanning dental X-ray of the upper and lower jaw. It shows a two-dimensional view of a half-circle from ear to ear.
OPGs are used by Dentists to provide information on :
- Impacted wisdom teeth
- Periodontal bone loss
- Finding the source of dental pain
- Assessment for the placement of dental implants
- Orthodontic assessment
- Broad anatomic region is imaged.
- Low radiation dose.
- Convenient, easy and fast. The entire procedure takes 14 seconds expsure time.
- Procedure can be performed on patients who cannot open their mouth.
- Easy for edentulous patients, patients who do not tolerate intraoral procedure well, patients with multiple tooth / Oral pathology.
- No overlapping of facial bones
Evaluation of trauma, third molar, extensive pathology.
- Evaluation of tooth development especially mixed dentation analysis.
- Evaluation of development anomlies like cleft palate.
- Minimal fluid inmaxillary sinus can be caught in his X-ray.
- Temporo mandibular joint pathology, dislocation or fractures can be clearly visualized without overlap.
- Styloid process visualization is very easily achieved.
- Multiple dental/oral problems caused by tobacco/Pan masala chewing in elders & Chocolates in children are caught by a single X-ray.
- Gross localization of Nasal Cavity/Ethomodial sinus/Maxillary sinus tumors & other paathology can be done at a very low price compared to the CT/MRI.
OPG is very useful for following faculties :
- Maxillo facial Surgery
- Plastic Surgery
- Cancer Surgery
- Orthopaedic Surgery
- ENT Surgery